Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Stockholders' Equity section. No big deal, actually...

There's a lot more to the Stockholders' Equity section than just Common Stock, Preferred Stock and Retained Earnings. The Additional Paid-in Capital (APIC) accounts can get pretty tricky, especially when dealing with the fact that each type of equity account has its own APIC account. I'm not talking about the ones that relate to the good old-fashioned Common and Preferred Stock accounts; looking back at it - that was easy. There are APIC accounts for every type of equity account you can imagine (and some you can't): stock options, stock subscriptions, stock appreciation rights, stock dividends, scrip dividends and probably a few others I'm leaving out.

Keeping track of the nuances between the Par and Fair Value method also requires an extra cup of coffee, but that's actually not that hard with a few practice problems (I just like coffee). I haven't even gotten to the Basic and Diluted EPS calculations yet. Looks like I have my day set for tomorrow.

Keep studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment